2006-01-17

speaking in tongues

Last night's show had a frothing-at-the-mouth Zionist Austen Tayshus and a calm anti-Zionist Antony Loewenstein. (Just when I thought the show was really more suited to radio, they have an interesting episode.) It takes more courage to be an anti-Zionist Jew, and I don't trust people who wear sunnies indoors, so I felt sympathetic for AL from the start. AL sounded calm and measured talking about the equality of all people. I think back to my time living in Iran, always knowing that a non-Muslim was "worth" half as much as a Muslim at the time. A non-Muslim cannot be equal in a Muslim state. From my visit to Israel and the West Bank last year, I know that Jewish settlers make their own law, and non-Jews are not treated equally. AT didn't seem to have any arguments, he just changed the subject and asked why AL wasn't so concerned about Australia. AT just seemed so full of hatred. I'll definitely be buying AL's book when it comes out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home