2006-06-09

sexually frustrated computer nerds

Today I was wondering why the default random seed in the impute.knn package in R is 362436069. I was looking at it wondering if it had any special properties. The standard google search did not help, so I went to the Groups Google search and looked at the oldest article containing the number. I was flabbergasted. Truly, sex drives all research!!

The highly respected G. Marsaglia published a lot of work
on pseudorandom number generation using the modulus 362436069,
because he found it particularly easy to remember
(thirty-six twenty-four thirty-six Oh sixty-nine).

1 Comments:

At Saturday, June 10, 2006 6:50:00 PM, Blogger Slartibartfast said...

I've just caught up on your blog 'back-issues' in the months of March, April and May.

Whew! You don't bitch about me much. Thanks. It sounds as though it would be very hard to be MORE offensive and inconsiderate than people from your previous household.

After reading your blog postings circa Indooroopilly unit, I would like to impose the following house rules:

+ can you wet the bathroom floor more? Try especially to leave the mat soaked for the next person.

+ would you PLEASE hang your laundry close to mine so it stays damp?

+ I need you to pay a bond deposit of $6,000, plus interest payable from the date you moved in at a rate of 18% per annum

+ You don't watch TV enough. I will respect you more if you come home, turn on the telly straight away and do not take your attention off it until 11pm at the earliest. Toilet breaks are not an excuse; you can tinkle in a bucket on the balcony. Notice I have repositioned the screen so it is easier to view from the kitchen while preparing food :)

+ You will comply with all of these requests or else I will make up some vague, fake excuse to get you to move out!

I think it was brave of you to tell me your blog address and I hope this does not bias you or prevent you being honest in making comments about me. It is interesting to see the first posts use an initial and later ones have my full name. I notice your old housemates only get an initial. They must have been awful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home